Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day Three and the benefits

Okay, so I am nearly out of veggies for my fast.  Having a sensible dinner has made this thing a whole lot easier!!!!  I do not recommend trying to drink only juice for days at a time, unless of course you are already awesome and a juicing pro! :)  But for junk foodies like me? Better be prepared and take it slow!

I am feeling really good about the nutrients I've been pumping my body with this week.  So, I thought I'd share the benefits of most of the food I've been juicing:

Sweet Potatoes (I will continue to juice with these, probably daily, because it tastes so good and the s.p. makes the juice frothy like a milkshake.): vitamins a and c, fiber, potassium, iron, manganese and the B vitamins. They are also packed with antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties.  Furthermore, their low glycemic index makes them a great choice for diabetics. One word of caution, according to Livestrong.com, persons with kidney or gallbladder problems should consult their doctor to know their limits concerning sweet potatoes, since they contain something called oxalates, which could cause kidney damage. (Interesting-did not know this last part)

Kale:  Not my favorite of the bunch, but mostly because I am not accustomed to eating it.  Kale is also packed with antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory and has vitamins A, C and K. It also hosts calcium, folic acid, copper, iron and potassium.

Pineapple: This tropical fruit contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and potassium, antioxidants, folic acid. It is also a diuretic and contains properties that improve immune function and may prevent breast cancer.

Pears: Contain antioxidants, Vitamin C, folic acid and potassium and fiber.

Watermelon: The biggest benefit of watermelon is the presence of lycopene, which can ward off heart disease.  It also contains vitamins A and C.

Celery: Calcium, vitamins A and C and fiber.


So, this is what I've been pumping into my body this week, along with some peaches and red grapes and a few carrots.

Do you have any recommendations, vegetable-wise, that I should try?





6 comments:

  1. oh my goodness i love this!! it's so wonderful when you think about the nutrients that you put in your body as opposed to just eating. i will be back to check out more. i love this info! thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Lulobird! I love your site too!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely try spinach. At least in smoothies it works great, even the kids like it. It adds a green color (and lots of nutrients) but it has so little flavor itself that you don't notice it at all. A nice way to get your greens without that green taste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is very inspiring, I am wanting to give juicing ago. Great info glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your posts makes me feel a wee bit bad coz I haven't been eating healthy lately! But you've also inspired me! I'll be doing the grocery shopping today and I'll keep in mind your words so that I'll grab more fruits and veggies. ;)

    Visiting from vB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to try juicing, but I can only do vegetables. I'm allergic to most fruits, and even more so recently. You can't quite get everything you need just from the veggies, huh.

    ReplyDelete