Thursday, December 20, 2012

How I Know the Bible is True



When Hubs and I first entertained the thought of home schooling our children, I wrote out a list of goals.  Toward the top of this list was not to just bring them to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, but also the ability to know WHY they believe what they believe. 

......always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you......1 Peter 3:15

How many of us who were raised in a Christian home grew up believing it because we were told to and just took for granted that what our parents taught us was true? (Raising my hand) Well, Peter gives us quite a challenge then, doesn't he?  Now that I am a mom myself, I am deeply convicted by this verse. I want my children to know why they believe what they believe and be able to defend it. In order to do this, I had to ask myself what I believe and why. So, to make a long story short(er), here is why I know the Bible to be True and Reliable:

The heavens declare the glory of God;
And the firmament shows His handiwork.
Day unto day utters speech,
And night unto night reveals knowledge.
There is no speech nor language
Where their voice is not heard.
Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their words to the end of the world. Psalm 19


If I may be so bold to say, no logical (and honest) person can look at the night sky or images of space and say it all happened by chance, that it wasn't deliberately put here by an Intelligent Being. In fact, the idea is so ridiculous to me that that same idea is proof enough that there must be a great deceiver as well; one who is playing upon man's selfish, proud nature-the nature that wants to believe a lie.

2.) For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14


I have often wondered how any molecular biologist can be an atheist.  The human body is amazing. Beyond words amazing.  I am no molecular biologist, no brain surgeon, no scientist of any kind-nor do I play one on t.v.-but I understand enough to know that the body is made up of so many tiny machines that are dependent upon one another to function that it is incomprehensible-read IMPOSSIBLE-for it all to have happened by chance or an evolutionary process.

3.) This next one is a combination of the previous two:

     15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all           creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

   19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.
Colossians 1

Notice the italicised phrase in verse 17.  Now take a look at this:


If you've seen this before, you know laminin is a cell-adhesion molecule.  Isn't it amazing that we are held together by tiny crosses? Hmmm

Now take a look at my favorite image from space, the center of the black hole of the Whirlpool Galaxy:
Before time began, God knew it would all come down to this.

4.) Archaeological finds
Recent history, the twentieth century in particular, have unearthed fantastic archaeological finds that correlate with the Bible. In the interest of space and length of this post, I will not list them here. Check out the following links to learn more:

     http://www.grantjeffrey.com/article/article7.htm
http://www.christcenteredmall.com/discoveries/index.htm

5.) Jesus Himself
Did you know that there are 109 prophecies in the Old Testament about the first coming of the Messiah?  Were you thus aware that Jesus Christ fulfilled all 109? (source)

6.) The nation of Israel. 
...in the latter years you will come into the land that is restored from the sword, whose inhabitants have been gathered from many nations to the mountains of Israel which had been a continual waste; but its people were brought out from the nations, and they are living securely, all of them. Ezekiel 38:8

Ever wondered why the world cares so much about the tiny nation of Israel?  Think it is coincidental that a people who were scattered across the globe came back together after nearly 2000 years?  I don't.

7.) The Bible Itself.

The fact that the Bible is written over a span of 1500 years, by many different authors, all pointing to a common theme and having the same message is miraculous.

8.) 2 Timothy 3.

There is no question that the world is spinning out of control.  Acts of evil and hatred abound. The recent tragic events in Connecticut are unfortunately becoming less shocking as the violence rages and intensifies.  People are sinful by nature and thus history is full of examples of horrific acts, but the culmination, intensity and frequency of events by a godless world is overwhelming.  Things were bad when Paul wrote to Timothy, but there is no way he could've predicted that they could be as they are today.

Some say the answer to the world's problems is to get rid of all religion. Religion is the source of much of today's violence and mayhem.  I agree that perhaps religion is a major conduit.  However, true Christianity-what the Bible teaches- is not a religion. It is a relationship with the Almighty, the Alpha and the Omega. Who can deny that the dissolution of Biblical values-the 10 Commandments, Beattitudes, wisdom in Proverbs etc-in our nation is directly related to the decline in our society? We are a lost people, groping around in the dark for some purpose and meaning. Searching for something to fill that gaping hole in our spirits, we chase after money, possessions, fame, relationships. None of these give us the peace that we so desperately seek.

If you do not know Jesus as Lord and Savior, it is my prayer that you, dear reader, will spend some time this Christmas season, searching the Bible for the answers you need. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6). He offers a peace that is everlasting and beyond comprehension (Philippians 4:7).

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, I am in awe of the eloquence and beauty of this post. It always shocked me how scientists don't see the same awe in God's creation as they are looking at the whole make up of the human body! I am very fortunate I never have to answer these questions among our friends or family because in Lebanon there is no question of belief. It just IS. In Doha, it's a whole different belief system but we have ours and are grateful. God bless you and your family this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a refreshing post - it makes me sad that the real reason behind Christmas is oftentimes lost these days. Thank you for reminding me of my faith this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that scientists and especially doctors would believe that there is a God, because doctors know that sometimes a miracle happens that they cannot explain.

    Love this post. Stopping by from VoiceBoks!

    ReplyDelete