Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Simple Home Fragrance for Autumn

Happy Fall Y'all!

One of my favorite things about this time of year is the SMELL!  Of course, the vibrant colors of the changing leaves is breathtaking but there is something to be said about the aroma of autumn.

I'm talking pumpkin pie, apple cider, nutmeg, cinnamon.  The home fragrance manufacturers release their best scents this time of year.  They take me back to a simpler time, of warm memories of Grandmother's kitchen.

While I love many of the home fragrance sprays (I have one that smells like buttered maple syrup-cue angelic singing), I much prefer the natural aroma of the "real thing".  Since I don't have time to bake pies every day, I throw together my own autumn simmer to fill my home with the scent of comfort.

It really is so simple, if not down-right "DUH"-worthy ;)

Homemade Autumn Simmer:
Fill a sauce pan with water; add apple, pear and/or orange peels; toss in a couple of cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, turn back the heat and simmer, adding more water as needed. *As I type this, I decided to add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice and a sip of vanilla to the simmer.


Aaaahhhhh......reminiscent of an old country store or a brisk autumn night at Grandma's.

What are some ways you bring autumn indoors?

Linking up at:

 
     

4 comments:

  1. This sounds very nice and a very good idea, it's always nice when your home has the scent of Autumn.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I LOOOOVE fall. I can't even describe how much :) And, I love fall scents, so I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing simmers! We are so sensitive to the manufactured scents so I can't use those. Kudos on adding the pumpkin pie spice! I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for linking up at Thrive @ Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this too! I throw in some cloves, but they have a very strong scent... Nothing like the house smelling delish!

    ReplyDelete