Saturday, June 30, 2012

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

One of the simple ways I try to save a few bucks is by making my own biscuits from scratch.  Hubs loves biscuits and eats at least one every day, so it really does pay for me to make them myself instead of buying the packages of frozen biscuits.  I got this recipe from Cozy Kitchen but have tweaked it to make a double batch.

Ingredients:  2 C whole wheat flour
                   2 C all-purpose flour
                   2 Tbs baking powder
                   1 tsp baking soda
                   4 tsp sugar
                   1 tsp salt
                   2 sticks cold unsalted butter
                  1 1/2 C cold buttermilk
*Tip, if you don't have buttermilk (which I usually don't) you can "make" some by adding 1 Tbsp of vinegar to 1C of milk. Let it sit for around 5 minutes.  For this recipe, I add 1 1/2 Tbsp of vinegar to 1 1/2 C of milk.

Directions: Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl, with a whisk.











Add the butter, cut up into chunks, a little at a time.  You can either mix the butter in with a wooden spoon, or use your hands to crumble the butter into the dry ingredients.









This is what it looks like after you have finished working in the butter.

Next, add the buttermilk. This is not a true doubling of the Cozy Kitchen recipe because I found 2 C of buttermilk to be too much, thus the 1 1/2 C.

After stirring with a wooden spoon and forming a dough, put it on a heavily floured surface and knead.  Pat or roll out to desired thickness and create biscuits with biscuit cutter. I actually do not have one, so I use a canning ring. :)








Hubs likes his biscuits rather thick, so this recipe makes around 16 biscuits. Making them thinner would make more obviously.

I put the biscuits on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and stick them in the freezer to flash freeze. Once frozen, I bag them and keep them stored in the freezer.

This image courtesy of Cozy Kitchen


No comments:

Post a Comment