Friday, May 25, 2012

"F" is for lots of my F-avorite things :)

Forgiveness, Finish (as in, "it is"), Friends, Flowers, Family and of course FOOD!

"Let thy food be thy medicine"-Hippocrates

Like so many Americans, I've given very little thought to the importance of the quality of my food. Yeah, mandatory health classes educated me on the Food Pyramid and the four major food groups, but that was as far as it went.  I just didn't think about it. Fast and convenient food was all I knew.

It hasn't been until the past few months that another "F" word has forced me to evaluate my life and what fuels it.  I am talking about Fibromyalgia.  I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  Chronic fatigue, pain, brain fog and the desire to remain OFF prescription medicines has led me down the path of examining what I put into my body.  Furthermore, finding myself smack dab in my middle thirties, I am more motivated than ever to avoid  the common diseases plaguing society.  Heart disease rules on my dad's side of the family, and type 2 diabetes and cancer runs rampant on my mom's.  While it is true that genetics plays a role in these conditions, it is a small one.  Diet and lifestyle are HUGE. What we put into our bodies MATTERS.

Several food documentaries have helped educate me on the importance of what we eat.  Check out Super Size Me if you haven't already.  Also, take a look at some films like Fresh, Forks Over Knives and Food Matters.

The biggest lesson I am learning is, when we put garbage into our bodies, we can expect to feel like garbage.   I am learning this first hand.  I've noticed, now that I am eating more whole foods, when I eat something quick and convenient (read: heavily processed), I feel completely drained and irritable.

I am still figuring out a diet that is best for me and my family; I am not yet convinced that a vegan lifestyle is the best.  I believe God when He told us in  1 Timothy 4 : "4} For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: {5} For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. " Common sense demands, however, that a diet of grease, fat and harmful chemicals is bad for our bodies long term and we are to be good stewards of the body God has given us.  He will not bless what we abuse.

A website I've begun frequenting often is 100 Days of Real Foods.  It has some wonderful tips and recipes if you are interested in incorporating more whole foods into your family's diet.

Let me know what you think! How do you feel about the quality of food your family takes in? Does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment