Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Mind Defined

Just as I did with the Spirit and the Body, I’d like to define what I mean by Mind.

Once again I refer to Noah Webster’s original 1828 dictionary:

5. The intellectual or intelligent power in man; the understanding; the power that conceives, judges or reasons.

I also like:

2. Inclination; will; desire; a sense much used, but expressing less than settled purpose; as in the common phrases, "I wish to know your mind;" "let me know your mind;" "he had a mind to go;" "he has a partner to his mind."

Ever feel like definition 5 does not apply to everyone?  While we may not be able to control our intellectual ABILITY, we can control our thinking.  I will never, ever, be an astrophysicist but I can make the JUDGEMENT as to whether I want to do X, Y or Z.  We’ll spend more time on this later.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment